Who is the data controller?
Young Writers is part of Bonacia Ltd, who is the data controller. Bonacia Ltd (including Young Writers) Registered Address in the UK Remus House, Coltsfoot Drive, Peterborough PE2 9BF, England
Young Writers Trading Address in Boston, MA, United States is Young Writers, 100 Condor Street, Boston, Massachusetts, 02128.
We respect your privacy. Any information that you give to us is held with the utmost care and security.
Your personal data is stored at our registered address and protected in the United Kingdom by the Data Protection Act. If we are holding any information about you, the information should be kept up to date, and not retained for longer than is necessary. You have the right to see what is held about you and correct any inaccuracies. In addition to these legal rights, we will immediately remove any information about you / your child from our systems that you are not happy for us to store.
What information do you collect?
- Child’s name
- Child’s age
- School name and address
- Teacher’s name
- Parent/Guardian’s name (only required if child is selected for publication)
- Parent/Guardian’s email (optional - only required if child is selected for publication)
- Parent/Guardian’s telephone number (optional - only required if child is selected for publication)
Why do you need my / my child’s information and how is it used?
We request a contact address at the time of entering any of our Young Writers’ contests. This is because we write to the parents/guardians of children who have entered any of our contests:
- To let them know that their child’s work has been chosen for publication and includes a bookmark and certificate
- To let them know that their child’s work has not been chosen for publication and includes a bookmark
If work has been selected for publication we will also use your information to:
- Email book progress information about the book that your child features in
- Re-send any letters or the certificate, as requested
- Email transactional information such as order confirmation and order dispatch notices
- Deliver an order or orders (Credit / Debit card details are not stored.)
- Send a prize (if applicable)
- Email sales or offers on Young Writers’ books
- Email a feedback survey on the product(s) and service
If no email address is provided, or if you’ve opted out, any information emailed will not be sent in any other way, e.g. posting letters to: update you on the book’s progress, sales or offers or feedback surveys.
We will write to you via the school’s address. Your name, address and email is never passed to third parties. From time to time other Bonacia brands may contact you with products or contests that may be of interest. You can opt out any other Bonacia brands marketing to you.
How do you collect this information?
When entering any of our Young Writers’ contests this information is requested:
- Child’s name
- Child’s age
- Child’s school name and address
- Teacher’s name
This information can be provided on a paper entry form, sent by email or when uploading the work at www.youngwritersusa.com.
If work is selected for publication this additional information is also required when permission to publish is given:
- Parent/Guardian’s name
- Parent/Guardian’s email
- Parent/Guardian’s telephone number
- Child’s DOB
Who will you share this information with?
We write to participating schools to let them know the results of the contest – we send a list of students selected for publication and any unused work is returned in the same package.
If your child’s work is published then their name, age, school name and town will be published alongside their work. Published books are ISBN registered so this information will be in the public domain. Children can be published without their school name and town, and without their surname, if requested.
School and student winners are published here: www.youngwritersusa.com. Student winners’ name, age, school name and town will appear along with their winning entry and the name of the book it was published in.
Winning schools will have the school name, town or area and the name of the book their students were published in. Press releases are sent to the winning schools’ local newspapers.
None of your personal details (your name, address, email, phone number, child’s name and DOB are ever passed to any third parties.) We do not sell any of our records, including school and customer information. Your details will also be shared with employees and contractors working for Bonacia Ltd, if relevant for them to do their job.
We are subject to the law like everyone else. We may be required to give information to legal authorities if they so request, or if they have the proper authorisation, such as a search warrant or court order.
From time to time other Bonacia brands may contact you with products or contests that may be of interest. You can opt out any other Bonacia brands marketing to you.
How is my information kept secure?
- We do not store any credit/debit card information.
- Information is kept on a secure database. Please read our IT & System Security Policy for further details
- Entries and Copyright/Permission forms returned by post are kept in a locked area
- Only staff who need to process or use the information have access to it
- Once the book is published, any children we have not received permission to publish forms from are removed from our records
- Once the book is published any postal entries and copyright/permission forms are securely destroyed on site
- Entries that are emailed to us are deleted once the contest has closed and the entries have been read, or every quarter – whichever is sooner.
- Entries that are uploaded via our website are deleted once the books have been published for that contest*.
*Please note: each contest is sent once annually.
How do I request to see what information you hold about me / my child?
At any time you may review or update the personally identifiable information that we hold about you / your child, by contacting us in writing at the address below to request a ‘Subject Access Request’. To better safeguard you / your child’s information, we will also take reasonable steps to verify your identity before granting access or making corrections to any information.
This policy has been compiled so as to comply with current UK, US and EU legislation, so far as we are aware. If you have any questions regarding this policy, or would like to request a ‘Subject Access Request’ please contact us in writing at:
If you have any questions regarding any other matter please contact us.